<$BlogRSDUrl$>


Loser's Guide Loser's Guide

 Loser's Guide to Life

Thursday, February 02, 2006

From teh Desk ... 

From the desk of Jane Galt (rather than from her wastebasket, where it seems to belong):

I've long argued that most post-secondary education (possibly most post-primary education), does not confer any useful skills upon students, but rather is a signalling mechanism: the education is a proxy for things like middle-classness, intelligence, and drive. Given that, increasing education will not increase the economic opportunity to teh currently uneducated; it will onl drive the elite to get more education as a way of differentiating themselves from the unwashed masses. (Witness the fact that almost everyone I know has a master's degree, while most of our parents are lowly BAs).

I don't know. I took a typing class in high school which helped a bit with things like spelling. Also I learned to wash myself, something I had been unfamiliar with, and this alone gave me entrée to the best houses.

Anyway, I think it's a little hard to witness a fact which can only possibly be known to Jane Galt and her friends, but maybe that was covered in Logic 101, which I missed.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Watching TV is a good way to tear yourself away from the computer.